Tuesday, November 10, 2009

S is for Sesame Street


It would be remiss of me to ignore the 40th anniversary of the remarkable children's program Sesame Street.  Though it is a staple for those under the age of 10, this 20 something cannot deny the sheer joy of watching some of the classic videos on youtube today.  The songs were as familiar to me now as they ever were...Ernie singing about his rubber duckie, Cookie Monster singing about the virtues of healthy food, The Count singing Batty Bats.  Good times! 

When I try to pinpoint what it is about this show that makes such an indelible impression on young kids, I can't quite come up with a succinct answer.  But I think it has something to do with merging possibility and reality, imagination and facts, laughter and learning.  What I do know for sure is that it was an enjoyable part of my childhood and has as much merit now as it did in its first season.   So to the most popular street in America I say....

Happy Birthday!  And thanks for all the inspiration!

(This posting brought to you by the letter S)

No comments:

Post a Comment